In situ measurements
Other data sources for the area
- Finnish Meteorological Institute main site
On-line weather data, e.g. forecasts, climatic data and observations (e.g. rain accumulation/snow cover maps).
- FMI lightning data
Maps of the most intense lightning days in Finland.
- Air quality index
- FMI snow products
- Maps for total ozone, UV-index and daily UV-dose
FMI site for OMI-VFD satellite products.
- FINNRA road weather stations
On-line road weather conditions in Finland.
- Estonian road weather stations
On-line road weather conditions in the Baltic Sea region.
- Estonian Meteorological and Hydrological Institute
On-line weather and analyzed weather maps (at Ilmaprognoosid > Ilmakaart).
- On-line weather conditions at airports by Finnish Civil Aviation Administration, NOAA, and Plymouth State Weather Center (archived METARs).
- Finnish Institute of Marine Research
On-line sea ice cover, significant wave heights, wave forecasts, sea level observations, and algal situation maps.
- Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE)
Environmental data for Finland, e.g. hydrological and satellite observations.
- Satrep analysis archives
Combination of satellite imagery and conceptual model analysis.
- CWINDE Doppler radar wind profiles
On-line weather radar and wind profiler data are included.
- MODIS rapid response system
- BALTEX radar data center, oceanographic data center and hydrological data center.
- European integrated water vapour map, select "Products" at E-GVAP site.
- Spatial data lending facility for south-west Finland. (in Finnish)
- CORINE Land Cover 2000 and Image 2000
Satellite image map and raster land cover database with a 25 m x 25 m resolution covering the whole Finland.
- Google maps, and Google Earth application
Both include hi-res satellite images for Helsinki area. Get wxt-stations as Google Earth placemarks!
- MODIS Low-res land global browse images
5km versions of selected products like top-of-the-atmosphere radiance, surface reflectance, snow cover, surface temprature, active fire, LAI/FPAR, sea ice. To get comprehensive albedo data, see MOD43C1 V004 MODIS Albedo 16-Day L3 Global 0.05 Degree CMG Binary Data Sets.
- Climate-SAF web user interface
- CloudSat Data Processing Center
- NORDKLIM Climatological Data Set
- NOAA Climatic data center
- Helsinki environmental statistics, including climate data (in Finnish).
- European Center for Medium Range Weather Forecasts
E.g. forecasts and re-analysis.
- World data center for climate, Hamburg
Main focus is set to climate model related data.
- Land Processes - Distributed Active Archive Center
E.g. global topography data set (GTOPO30) with a horizontal grid spacing of 30 arc seconds.
- Integrated CEOS European Data Server
E.g. elevation data: 3 arcsecond (~90m) resolution SRTM DEM data for Europe, Africa and the Indian subcontinent.
- Globe program
E.g. observations. Worldwide hands-on, primary and secondary school-based education and science program.
- Helsinki metropolitan area city council (YTV)
- Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority Finland (STUK)
- World Radiation Data Centre
On-line radiation data archive.
- European database for UV climatology and evaluation
- Global Precipitation Climatology Centre
Free access to global monthly gridded precipitation data sets.
On-line observations and forecasts.
On-line weather data.
- Finnish storm arena
Background on convective weather phenomena and lots of related links (incl. on-line weather) by A-J Punkka (in Finnish).